Pages

May 18, 2010

I Have Found The Holy Grails

Lately I have been doing a lot more web and UI development than I normally do. I generally do my best to stay away from anything that interfaces with an actual human, but sometimes you have no other choice.  During this work I have touched a few modules developed with Struts 1, some with the old school Java code inside of  JSP scriptlets, and some using Ext JS with Java servlets serving up JSON data.  I didn't like any of them, so once I finished my tasks I set out to do some research on web development frameworks and have come to the conclusion that if I have my choice of frameworks to use, I would use Grails.

Grails just seems so straight forward to me. In one night I made it through the Grails User Guide, and was able to get a small app up and running.  I have more learning to do with Grails, but I think we are going to become longtime friends.

With that in mind, I think it might be useful to actually do some posts on the various components of Grails. Would anyone be interested in that? Right now I am thinking something along the lines of a series of posts where in the end a full Grails app will have been built.

4 comments:

  1. So, are you expecting someone to take your advice on web/ui frameworks, when you are admittedly not a front-end developer?

    Are you suggesting that... to someone who normally does not do front-end development, Grails "seems" like a good framework?

    What kind of advice can you give us on the best treatment for rheumaticliosis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, in the time you spent putting together your sarcastic comment you could have shared some information on what you believe is a better framework...

    I gave no advice on adopting Grails. All I said was that I found it straightforward for what I needed to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do not worry about Anonymous and give Grails a try. I had used quite a few web frameworks (including Rails), but Grails are the best by far. It is not only the web UI, but also GORM/Hibernate, security and tons of plugins that makes Grails so strong. Feel free to check my Grails development page, it is just a bunch of links I am maintaining for my own development needs: https://lubospgroovy.wordpress.com/developing-grails-groovy-application-2/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree that graisl is a nice framework especially if you are not a seasoned developer, things are simple and everything everywhere is not polluted with complicated terms like in struts and spring.

    ReplyDelete