Pages

May 17, 2008

I Am Ubuntu!!

After months of delay, I finally have Ubuntu installed on one of my machines. I grabbed an old laptop that was collecting dust, popped in the install CD, and a boot and double-click later I had a computer with a nice Linux OS. I had a little problem getting my Broadcom 43xx wireless card to work with Ubuntu, but it only took a search of the large Ubuntu community forum to find a solution.

Here's a screenshot of my Ubuntu I took while I was doing some research for some work I plan on doing with Groovy.


So far, I really like Ubuntu. There are a large number of apps readily available to be installed at the click of a button. It also doesn't hurt that Ubuntu comes with Open Office, Pidgin, and Firefox already installed and ready for use. I've yet to find anything that I can't do with Ubuntu that I could do with Windows. I can't wait to get into it in more detail.

So if you have an old PC laying around, load it up with Ubuntu and you'll have a nice Java development machine ready to go. I know I already have plans for some nice Java apps I am going to be able to develop on this machine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment