Pages

May 17, 2008

Possible Next Project...

I've come to the conclusion that I need a nice side project to do this summer. I spent most of last year working on a simulation for my thesis. It was done in C++ with the simulation framework created by my professor. The entire time I worked on it I wished there was a Java version of his framework so I wouldn't have to deal with all of the pointers and memory allocation/de-allocation issues that come with C++. At the time I wanted to create a nice Java simulation engine and framework to use for any simulations I, or others, might do in the future.

Now six months have passed since I finished my thesis and I still feel like I want to create the framework so I am going to do it. I will be creating a nice, simple, and easily extended Java discrete event simulation library and engine. This will be my first real experience with building software for the "community" so it should be something I will be able to use to further increase my craft.

After attending Dallas TechFest and getting to interact with some of the speakers in the time since, I've realized that I need to put my knowledge to good use. This means becoming active in some of the local user groups, attending more conferences, and creating projects that can be of use to others. Just going to work and doing the limited amount of development that happens in an office environment will not get me where I want to be. I have to take my craft and career development in my own hands and take them to the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment